Qatar Chain Reaction Friday rides
The Friday ride rolls all year round.. No registration or membership. Just show up in advance of the advertised time.
Start time varies according to daylight and temperature so check the latest information on Facebook. The Friday ride event gets posted each Wednesday.
Assemble with your pace group 5 minutes before the start for a briefing. If you are new to the ride or trying a new group, introduce yourself to the group's leader. Do not hesitate to ask for advice.
When participating in QCR rides you agree to take personal responsibility for safety and to the terms of the waiver.
Friday ride groups
We try to offer something for everyone. Ride captains will dictate route and pace and manage the riders to keep the group working together well. Please listen to their instruction and advice.
70 km at an average of 28 kph.
A social group which has a policy of "Nobody gets dropped".
80 km at an average speed of 30 kph.
The Cookies who got fitter and wanted to ride longer and faster
Inbetweenerz & Group X
Two groups which average 32 kph. Inbetweenerz follow the 30z route while Group X ride up to 120km
Up to 120km at an average speed of 3kph.
The 35z will expect you to use the support car should you get dropped or have a mechanical
Up to 140km with a typical average of 37-40 kph.
A nice bunch but be ready for the hammer going down.
Safety, support cars & mechanicals
ICE (in case of emergency) details must be carried and helmets worn. See the full group ride etiquette.
Each group is followed by a support car. It will stop with those who have punctures or mechanicals. Whether the group will also stop is dictated by the ride leader who will take into account the temperature and the experience of the rider. However in normal circumstances the following will apply:
- The Cookie Club ride and 30z will always stop.
- The 32z/ 35Z and Terminatorz groups will not stop. Change the wheel/ fix the issue and use the car to get back to the group (hop in or draft it).
- Draft behind it but beware that not all drivers understand what you are trying to do.
- Get in the car (bike on rack) and let it take you to the next stop or end of the ride or until you have recovered. Sometimes 10 minutes of air con is all it takes to feel good again. If struggling with the heat or lack of fitness, there is no shame in just getting into the car and calling it a day. We've all done it.
- The support car is there for the safety of the group, so don't let it drop too far behind. You must not keep the car and continue riding if the main group gets a long way ahead. Climb in the car or wait for the next group to catch, as appropriate.